In 1942, several hundred paintings from the Uffizi, the Pitti and other galleries, including Botticelli’s Primavera and works by Michelangelo, were hidden here to save them from the perils of war. None of the paintings were damaged, except for a large, circular painting by Ghirlandaio which the German troops used as a dining table as they passed through on their way from Montegufoni. The paintings were returned safely to their respective galleries in 1945.
In 1980 Le Calvane was bought by a Swiss family who convinced famous winemaker Vittorio Fiore to return to Italy, where he remained at Le Calvane until 2005, establishing the reputation of the wine production.
Following the departure of the oenologist the family let most of the vineyards to their neighbours, the Frescobaldis, who used the grapes to produce wines sold under their own label.
In 2011 Le Calvane was sold again, this time to a small group of international entrepreneurs and local aficionados of the history of Le Calvane, who were aware of the specific features of the location and vinification methods, and recognised their potential.
Once the purchase was complete, the new owners invited Vittorio Fiore to return, and he commenced a strategic replanting process over several hectares, using mainly Merlot and Cabernet grapes. Today many of the wines are still produced under Vittorio’s watchful eye.
Le Calvane has come to be associated with both its quality product label and holidays steeped in the heart and soul of Tuscany and its history. Innovation, simplicity, authenticity and tradition are our fundamental values.
Le Calvane wines reflect these values and those of our winemaker, Vittorio Fiore; a leading international wine expert, who embodies our quest for excellence.