Deep in the heart of Tuscany, 20 km from downtown Florence, Villa Le Calvane is perched on the hills of the Montagnana Val di Pesa, adjacent to the legendary Castle of Montegufoni.
The first historical records of Le Calvane date back to 1135 when the Florentines destroyed the Castle of Montegufoni and took possession of the surrounding property including the grounds of Le Calvane. In 1305, Leo Acciaioli built at Le Calvane, the Church of Santa Maria Nuova a Montegufoni, to be part of the Oratory of Madonna della Neve, of which we have traces until the XVIII century and is now destroyed.
Since 1325 the Oratory at Le Calvane was home to a “Madonna with Child” painted by Lippo di Benivieni, one of the major XIV century Tuscan artists, the painting remained in the Chapel at Le Calvane until 1709 and is now in the Museum of Montespertoli.
The name Le Calvane dates back to 1427. Calvano di Luca Calvanesi produced wine and olive oil and the property remained in the family until 1569. In 1683, Donato Acciaoli, one of the most powerful families of Florence and Italy repurchased Le Calvane and the Castle of Montegufoni, as it had belonged to his ancestors in earlier centuries. Wine making continued for centuries and in 1815 Matteo de Frescobaldi, one of the leading wine production families of Italy purchased Le Calvane to continue its legacy as a dominant wine producer. Thanks to its fertile land and privileged position, Le Calvane has been long renowned for its wine, olive oil and other fine agricultural products throughout history.